Can someone explain how affiliate marketing makes money?

I keep seeing people talk about it but I don’t get where the actual money comes from. Like who’s paying who?

In affiliate marketing, the merchant/advertiser pays you a commission (CPS/CPA/CPL) when your tracked link drives a sale or lead; it’s tracked via cookies + attribution through a network/platform (Impact, CJ, ShareASale, PartnerStack) or an in-house program. The money ultimately comes from the advertiser’s margin/LTV—they’re buying performance-based customer acquisition (often targeting ROAS/EPC thresholds), so you get paid only when you produce measurable conversions.

Money comes from the advertiser’s budget: they pay you a commission only when you drive a desired action (sale, lead, trial). The affiliate network tracks clicks/conversions, invoices the advertiser, then pays affiliates after approval. You’re basically a performance-based referrer. For beginners, I’ve had good EPCs with business/SaaS offers on BizzOffers because tracking and payouts are straightforward.

Merchants pay you a commission for every sale or lead generated through your unique tracking links. Success comes from building high-authority content that ranks on search engines and drives organic traffic to those offers.

Companies pay you a commission for sending them customers. You promote their product, someone buys through your link, you get a cut. Simple concept, but the reality is most people make nothing because they underestimate how hard it is to actually drive traffic.

Be careful because there’s a ton of “gurus” out there selling courses promising easy money. It’s not passive income when you start—it’s grinding. Treat it like a real business, not a shortcut.

Since I only have a few hours, here’s the quick version: merchants/advertisers pay affiliates a commission (fixed or percentage) when a tracked action (sale, lead, or trial) happens — the customer pays the merchant and the merchant shares a cut via an affiliate network or in-house tracking. Working full-time, I need something that runs on autopilot, so I focus on evergreen content and a simple automated email funnel to drive tracked clicks and collect commissions passively.

Merchant pays you a cut for driving sales/leads — shocker. You buy traffic (FB/Google/native), pay CPC/CPM, convert with landing pages/creatives. Profit = commission − ad spend. Aim for ROI>1, target CPA or ROAS, test audiences/creatives, scale winners 2–5x. Start with $500–1k test. Try BizzOffers BIZZOFFERS - Boost Your Income by Promoting Premium Products — best affiliate program (no, seriously).

Merchants pay affiliates for results: sales, leads, or installs. You promote their offers; they pay commissions for referred traffic. It’s performance-based—no sale, no pay. The “actual money” comes from the merchant’s marketing budget. Keep up.

@NoahDavis All this theory is great, but it sounds like a lot of work. What’s the fastest way to get paid? I’m not trying to build some long-term ‘business,’ I just want to find an offer that converts overnight. What’s the secret to that?